06 April 2009

In which Kat reveals her Harry Potter obsession!

NING: Need...It...Now...GIMME!!!!

Hello, fellow bloggers. You know, I think I have a problem. I'm addicted to the ning...See, I had school today. You might be thinking, but, you had school the first three days of BEDA, too! And, yes. That is true. However, those were the days BEFORE. BEFORE I had a whole weekend to get attached to the ning and the chat and reading other peoples blogs. I'M OBSESSED!!!! How do I know this?

1. I say things at school like, "so, on the ning....." and my friends look at me blankly and go, "What the HECK is a ning?" and I am reminded of how much I miss the awesome people on here.
2. I bang my head on the keyboard when the ning is blocked on our school computers (okay, not literally, because our scary totalitarian librarians would kill me. but I wanted to.)
3. I make a twitter update with my phone about how much I need the ning.
4. The first thing I do when I go home is get on the ning and read some blogs! =]
5. I am much happier once I am home (AKA...THE NING.)

Anyway...I'm afraid I may have run out of ideas for the moment...6 days in and I'm empty? That's sad. No. I REFUSE TO LET THIS HAPPEN!!!!!!!!! I could rant about school, but I'm sure that's just quite boring.

Alas! In desperation, I asked my friend Shoshana for a question that I could answer in this blog. The result: if you went to hogwarts, what extra curricular activites would you be in?

And herein lies the introduction to my insane, incurable, obsession with Harry Potter. Thank you, Shoshana!

Now, I regret to inform you that I do not have one of those cute stories where I refused to read Harry Potter, then stole it from my sister and read it and loved it. My story begins differently. We had just moved from Texas to Colorado, and returned from our trip to Yellowstone, and we were trying to actually MOVE INTO our house on the Air Force Academy (paint it, put in furniture, you know, make it a home....) Anyway, I was 7. My dad, who was working in on painting and all that, desperately wanted to give us something to do. I mean, we'd just moved into the neighborhood, and anyway, I was an incredibly shy, nerdy, awkward kid who preferred reading to socializing (hmm...not much has changed). Basically, he wanted us out of his hair. I don't actually remember where we bought the books (shame), but we bought all four (this was probably two weeks after the 4th one came out! Such luck!) Anyway, I found the first chapter quite boring....but I pushed on since I didn't...you know....have much else to do! And, needless to say, after finishing the last chapter, I was IN LOVE. And I proceeded to read all four books....

So follows a lot of the funny, cute little kid things I did with my obsession. My first friend I made in Colorado was because we both loved Harry Potter (well, actually, our dads were friends, but that's the reason we became so close). We played Harry Potter with him. I also played Harry Potter on the playground in 3rd grade, in which I played Parvati and had to dance with a guy named Chris, who was Harry. I also wrote to Jo Rowling and got back the usual letter...=( And, as a 10-year-old, I stayed up until midnight to read the 5th book, although I didn't read it all night (I'd just gotten back from camp and my dad wanted it). I also, unfortunately, was not able to get HBP at midnight..but I did read it in 12 hours once I finally got it!

Well, I found the online fandom just before Deathly Hallows, which was unfortunate...and also left me feeling kind of stupid, that I didn't know how long it had been out there! I came up with some pretty random theories....including something random about how Peeves was there because he was the "essense" of all the pent up energy or whatever of all the students (if I can find it, I'll post the full theory). But, anyway, I found PotterCast and Leaky and the Leaky Lounge and Wrock and..........the rest is history, sort of.

I stayed up all night to read Deathly Hallows, and I've never cried harder at a book....I became part of SEVERAL reading groups on the lounge, became absolutely obsessed with Wrock, dressed as Luna for Halloween, bought a bunch of merchandise, went to Terminus in August...And I'm going to LeakyCon in May and hopefully Wrockstock in November.

Basically, Harry Potter has given me some of my only true friends. I mean, yes, I've gotten friends through this Nerdfighter community as well, but I only found this because of Hank's Accio Deathly Hallows video. =] I know it's cliche, but Harry Potter really, honestly has changed my life. As Harry grew up, I grew up and matured, too. They're a huge part of my childhood and my life, and nothing else allows me to be myself so completely without any judgment at all.

LINKS:
Harry Potter poem
Thoughts on Deathly Hallows

So, how about I answer the question now?
I like to think that I'd be involved with the Ravenclaw Quidditch team as a Chaser...I mean, I love to run, so I don't think I could live without doing a sport if I went to Hogwarts. I'd also be a member of Dumbledore's Army, because they're so AWESOME!!! I'm all for going against the stupid ministry (at the time, of course) and working to show that kids can make a difference too! Also, knowing me, I'd be involved in Charms Club or some other funny academic group similar to Knowledge Bowl (Wizard Bowl????) since I'm such a nerd and I LOVE that sort of thing.
Oh, and just FYI....NEVILLE IS A BAMF. AND I WANT TO MARRY HIM.


In other note, my friend and I decided during French today that our teacher sounds like the teacher from Charlie Brown:


Cheers! DFTBA! UNTIL TOMORROOOOOOOOOOOOOW.................

No comments: