11 April 2009

Confessions of a Nerd Girl Part Deux

Yes! The Second Installment in Confessions of a Teenage Nerd…I’m not really sure if y’all enjoyed it last weekend, but…I had a lot of fun with it, really. And I think it’s good to have plans for at least the weekend….So, I now present you with three more so-called “confessions” (meaning things that you lovely people of the ning do not know yet about me….which includes a lot of stuff).

1. I love country music.
Well, this is something my camp friends definitely know about me. I mean, being at a barn half the summer around horses and all that….you kind of have to learn to like country music, you know? But, really, I do love it. I know some people hate the accents or the lyrics or something about country music…or they try to claim it’s not music. And I will admit I’m much more into a lot of the female country singers…though a lot of the guys are great, too! It’s hard to really choose a favorite, but I think I have to say Martina McBride because she has such a gorgeous voice and such a large range of topics within her songs…she approaches the really tough stuff in a tender way, she sings about the beauty of life, and she also sings about heartbreak. She’s absolutely phenomenal!!!! I got to see her in concert in May of 2007 here in Colorado Springs, and she was even better in person. She’s simply lovely, but she doesn’t make a big deal out of the fact that she’s a really famous singer (not that many country singers do, but…)

Anyway, I mean, it’s not like I’m obsessed with country music or anything. That would be why it’s something not very many people know about me—unless you look through my iPod or hang around the barn at camp with me. Really, I am a country southern girl at heart. I mean, I spent my childhood in Texas, so I do have a southern accent when I’m asked to pull it out….I’ve lived in Colorado so long that it isn’t how I speak daily, but I can still pull it out. And, obviously, I love horses and being at the barn and…yes….I even do like getting dirty sometimes! Even mucking stalls can be fun sometimes, because my friends and I have some pretty hilarious conversations.

Okay. Anyway—summary of confession. Country music is awesome, but I don’t preach it or anything. I just love it, and I hope people don’t judge me for loving it.

2. I love history =]
I know, nerdy. But it’s just so interesting! I don’t watch much TV, but when I do, I mostly watch random things on the history channel. I don’t understand how anyone can’t be at least just a little bit interested in history, because it’s how we got where we are today. And we can learn so much from it! Or….some things are just really amusing. For example: At Andrew Jackson's funeral in 1845, his pet parrot had to be removed because it was swearing. Isn’t that funny?! Or: In England and the American colonies the year 1752 only had 354 days. In that year, the type of calendar was changed, and 11 days were lost. That would be strange…where did the eleven days go?!

Also, I mean…we have so much to learn from our history. If we don’t pay attention to history, then the same thing is just going to keep happening over and over again….like the situation in Darfur—as I said on Tuesday, we can’t let it be another Rwanda. We have to do something about it, you know? I mean, I’m not saying we always do learn from our past mistakes. But at least we have a chance to! And, if we really try, we can look at past wars and interactions with countries to try to predict what they might do or how we should go about fighting them…

Anyway, I know it’s kind of weird. But I find things fascinating….trying to figure out why people might have done the things they did (Hitler, for example). Or just looking back at our past to see how we got where we are now or how much things have changed and what the future might bring. One of my favorite shows on the history channel was “Life after People.” So great =]

One more: The very first bomb dropped by the Allies on Berlin during World War II killed the only elephant in the Berlin Zoo.

3. I love the outdoors.
I kind of already said this, but I’m a huge outdoors girl. I love hiking and running and swimming and the ocean and…….just being outside in general. I mean, it comes partly from my family and the fact that my dad grew up being outdoors a lot too. And when I was young in Texas we mostly played outside with our friends, no matter how hot it was. And then, of course, when we moved to Colorado, there are so many places to go hiking! Or canoeing, or horseback riding, or running….

I’ve climbed 4 14ers in my life: Quandary, Belford, Brauss, and Lincoln. And I hope to do many more, because it’s so much fun.

Okay, this is probably too long for Jordan to read already….I’m sorry! I write too much!

Anyway, until tomorrow! Cheers! DFTBA!

No comments: