27 November 2008

Giving thanks

So, today's thanksgiving. =] Which means a lot more food than we need to eat (for most people), football (not for me), Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, movie and tv marathons, and, of course, giving thanks (the often forgotten part of Thanksgiving). I hate doing these things aloud, especially since I'm at my mom's this Thanksgiving and didn't really know what to say. So I'm going to give thanks here. Read it if you want, don't if you...you know, don't want to.
  • I'm thankful for my family. Dad, Leslie, Ebony, Elyse, and all my relatives. Everyone is so amazingly supportive. I can't believe how amazing a family I have. Sure, we don't always get along, and all my relatives live pretty far away so I haven't seen anyone since Christmas. But my family is amazing--loving, friendly, supportive, helpful, and big on that whole constructive criticism thing. ;] And, on the same note, I'm thankful that Aunt Brenda and Uncle Bill live in Colorado now, and that hopefully I'll have the chance to get even closer to them now. But above anyone else, I'm thankful to my dad and Leslie, who understand me so well and would do practically anything to make sure I'm happy. It's so nice to have people in my life who really, sincerely hate to see me unhappy. So thank you, everyone.
  • Okay, next in the list is my friends. I may not have many of them, but I'm eternally grateful for all the ones I do--my true friends. I don't want to list them, but you know who you are. I couldn't survive without my support system of friends who pick me up when I break down and crack jokes to make me cheer up and always have that one memory to make me smile and forget my troubles. =]
  • I'm thankful I have food. Okay, when I'm at my mom's house it may be pretty bad food, or very little food, but I really can't complain when I think about the people around the world who starve and get a bowl of rice every few days. It's amazing that my home has its own garden, where we grow our own awesome vegetables, and that we were part of a farm this year that gave us the rest of the vegetables we'd need. I'm really lucky that I get such great food and have the opportunity to cook some amazing meals and choose what's on the menu and go to the grocery store and buy what I want.
  • I'm grateful I live in America, in the beautiful state of Colorado. It may be cold, and full of allergens, and not my first pick of where to live, but it's amazing. The mountains are beautiful, and I can just drive for 30 minutes and find seclusion and serenity to go hiking. I'm lucky to live in such a great country, where the first African-American president will be inaugurated in just 2 months! Really, I'm thankful I don't live in Africa or the Middle East or any other third-world country.
  • I'm thankful I have the money, leisure, and luxury to buy and read books. Amazing books such as Paper Towns and Harry Potter and Inkdeath. Without books...oh, I don't know what I'd do.
  • I'm thankful, actually, for school. Because some kids don't have the choice of whether or not to go to school. And despite the sub-par teachers, obnoxious peers, occasionally useless assignments, and complaining that I do, school is building me a fantastic foundation on which I can build the rest of my life. =]
  • I'm thankful for the amazing, ever-growing Harry Potter fandom. And, definitely, all the amazing friends I've met through it. I'm thankful for Leaky, especially the Lounge, for being the first place to make me feel welcome. I'm grateful that I get to go to LeakyCon in May, and that I have all these opportunities to be with people who understand, love, and appreciate me.
  • This is a weird one, but I'm thankful for my willpower and giving ability. I don't know how I push myself to do all this community service and actions for different charity groups, but I'm thankful that I do and thankful for how good that all makes me feel.
Well....I think that's it for now. I'll probably think of something else and have to edit this entry, but I'm going to stop for now. I've had things to complain about all week that are still in my mind, but I think I'll just leave this as a very happy, thankful journal entry and not mess it up with my teenage complaining. I hope everyone had an amazing thanksgiving! Turkey or tofurkey (mmm...tofurkey!), mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, stuffing....Just remember to enjoy whatever your feast includes and remember that there's a lot of people less fortunate who need that food. So be thankful today, folks, instead of just stuffing your face and then falling asleep to football. Happy thoughts! Cheers!

No comments: